Facebook has revamped its message service that includes an Email service for its 500 million users. You can now claim your facebook.com email address, like email@example.com
How to get the new Facebook Message System?
Facebook is gradually introducing the new message system to its users, not immediately at once, unlike what you expected, so you should see steps to upgrade soon. For the impatient lot, you can request for an invite from Facebook.
Once you are updated, Facebook will show you the steps and a small tutorial on the new system.
How to get firstname.lastname@example.org
After you have received your invite, you can claim your facebook.com email address. It will match your Facebook Profile Name. If you don’t have one, you can get it at the same time.
So what’s it all about?
Rather than the current messages and updates buttons on the left sidebar of your Facebook Home page, the new messages and other buttons will appear. All messages from your friends will appear in the Messages category. Everything else is sent to the other folder, including messages from Facebook Groups, from Pages you like and external mails from Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.
All conversations with your friends are centered in the new message system, everything from chat to text messages and emails are available under one roof. Yeah, if you provide your phone number, you can bring SMS messages into the system too.
Facebook E-Mail Service
Your Facebook messages are even compatible with traditional email systems (Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail). When you get mails from these systems via email@example.com, they’re directed to your Facebook Messages. When you send mails to external email addresses, they’re formatted to look like your messages on Facebook, including your name and profile pic along with your mail. You can even attach files other than pics and videos in messages/mails.
Another addition is the search element. Facebook has updated how message search works. You can either search for a person’s name or for a topic you were chatting about. You can also add people to conversations, remove yourself, or forward conversations to others.
Send Facebook messages via SMS
You can text Facebook to update your status or message on the go. You can also choose to receive SMS with messages, pokes, and wall posts from your friends in real time.
Example: To send a message “what’s up?” to a friend William Smith via a mobile text, just text msg william smith what’s up? to 9232232665
For more info, click here
How to control Privacy settings?
If you’d like to choose who can send you Facebook messages and Emails:
- Open the Account drop-down menu at the top of any Facebook page and click on Privacy Settings.
- In the Basic Directory Information section, go to View settings.
- Change the settings for Send me messages. Your options include Everyone, Friends and Friends of Friends.
In a Nutshell:
- It’s free and easy to set up.
- Having your email integrated with your messages, chats and texts makes it easier to check them all at once. All your different types of messages are in one place.
- When people send you emails from external systems (Gmail, Hotmail, etc), they’re delivered to your Facebook Messages. When you send mails to external email addresses, they’re formatted to look like your messages on Facebook, including your name and profile picture along with your message.
- Owning firstname.lastname@example.org makes it easier for friends and family who are not on Facebook yet to connect with you.
- Attach files in messages and mails & send messages via SMS.