Let’s learn how to install WordPress manually to your server, to build a self hosted WordPress Blog.
Things Required To Install WordPress Manually
- Latest Release of WordPress software
You can download it from the Official WordPress Download page
- cPanel access for your sever, to create database and upload WordPress files
How to Install WordPress Manually
Login to cPanel
Type your cPanel address in the address bar and login to your cPanel account.
If you don’t know your cPanel address try:
contact your web hosting providers for the same.
(Do Remember the Database Name , Username and Password entered by you in this step as it will be required later on)
- Go to the Databases section in your cPanel and click on MySQL Database Wizard.
- Type any name for your database and click Next Step button.
- Enter a username and password for your database and then click on create user button.
- After successfully creating your database and user, click on the check box against All Privileges to grant all privileges to the newly created user.
- Now that your database creation has been successful, click on Return Home to proceed & install wordpress.
Uploading WordPress to Server
- Open File Manager in your cPanel and click on Upload at the top left.
- Then choose the WordPress Zip file which you had downloaded and upload it.
- Then select the file and click on extract at the top right and extract the file in public_html directory.
- Now you’ll see that a new folder WordPress been created. Since we need to run the site from www.yourdomain.com and not www.yourdomain.com/wordpress.So open the WordPress folder, then click on select all files, choose move file from the top left and in the text box type /public_html instead of /public_html/wordpress and finally click on Move File(s).
- Now select wp-config-sample.php, click on copy at left corner to make a copy of the file and rename the copied file to wp-config.php
- Then right click on wp-config.php and click on edit.
- Now change the database_name_here, username_here and password_here to the database name, username and password you entered while creating the database.
Running the WordPress Installation Script
To run the installation script visit http://yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php and enter the details. Now click on Install WordPress.
Congrats, you’ve installed WordPress. Now login to WordPress and enjoy blogging..!!
Comment below for any queries 😉