The error code 0x80070005 is often referred to as Access Denied error. It generally occurs while checking or updating updates via Windows Update. To fix this particular problem, there are a couple of things we can try. Let’s take a look at what to do when you get error 0x80070005.
- First we download and install SubInACL from the Microsoft Download Center.
- Then we open Notepad and paste the code given below in the notepad we opened.
IF exist “%ProgramFiles(x86)%” set OSBIT=64
IF %OSBIT% == 64 set RUNNINGDIR=%ProgramFiles(x86)%
subinacl /subkeyreg “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing” /grant=”nt service\trustedinstaller”=f
- Then we close the Notepad. We will be prompted a Save As window. Here, we save the file with file type “All Files (*.*)” and the file name should end with CMD, for example “trick.cmd”. Also, we should ensure that the location where we are saving it is convenient for us to browse and find.
- After saving the file, we right click on the file and click on ‘Run as Administrator’.
It is important that we cross-check and see if the symptoms to validate the problem exists. For Windows Vista and above users, the following steps will guide through the same.
- First, we download AccessChk (Sysinternals). This is a tool that lets us comprehend the access level for users or resources like files, directories, global objects, Windows services and registry keys.
- Once the zip file is saved, we need to extract the file by right-clicking on the file and choosing the destination by selecting ‘Extract All’ option.
- After the extraction process is complete, we open the AccessChk folder.
- We right click in the Window holding down the Shift-key to select “Open Command Prompt here”.
- When the command prompt window opens up, we type the following command: “accesschk.exe -s -n “nt service\trustedinstaller” -k “hklm\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing” >accesskchk.txt”.
- Then we close the command prompt window, and double click on AccessChk.txt file under the AccessChk folder.
This should fix the 0x80070005 Access Denied error.